Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Merlin Conspiracy

by Diana Wynne Jones

Grade: Good
Story: There are a lot of different worlds and some politics. Also magicians. Roddy sees something very bad and no one will believe her. All Nick wants to do is go to different worlds. Then the end of the worlds almost happens.

I'm pretty sure I started this one once and left it unfinished, but it's not on my blog that I can find anywhere. Anyway, I'm not sure why I left it unfinished the first time. It's quite interesting, although not as much as many of hers.

Roddy was a fairly good character, I thought. Even more so when you saw her from Nick's point of view. That was when you really discovered how good a writer DWJ is--because you haven't before this. I mean, the story before is good, but as I mentioned, not the very best of DWJ. But personally, I thought when you saw how annoying Roddy was from Nick's POV, but you already knew Roddy from her own POV, she was a much deeper character than expected.

EDIT: Found it. It was from November 23, 2008. I said this:
Grade: Unfinished
Read: To page 125

I actually got a fair ways through this, and I still didn't love it. So in the Unfinished pile it goes.

No comments: