Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Uninvited Guests

by Sadie Jones

Story summary: There's an eccentric family in their old, grand, and in-need-of-repairs house. There's a mysterious train crash with even more mysterious survivors. There's the charming surprise visitor with possible menacing intent. And there's a very non-house-trained pony.

Why You Will Like This Book:
  • It's funny, short, strange, sweet, creepy, quaint.
  • I actually found the romances rather sweet, though not exactly deep. (I mostly only mention this because romance is often offputting for me, and so when it isn't, I take note.)

And Why You Might Not:
  • It's a strange book. Not completely coherent in plot or theme.







Thoughts: Yes, it was a bit weird, and I'm not sure if it was the most original or excellent. But I liked it. It was ... cosy. And all the romances, and the ghosts, and the Britishness. I actually think I want to own this book. It was not good enough to give it a fabulous rating or anything, but it's one of those funny little books that I fall in love with--in a weird, not entirely loving way.

My favourite aspect, I think, was the element that reminded me of one of my favourite plays: "Hayfever" by Noel Coward. "Hayfever" is way funnier with a much tighter structure, but they both centered around eccentric families and their various romances around the turn of the century. And eccentric families and their various romances are a much-favoured story topic for me.

Grade: 3 1/2 stars

No comments: