Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Last Unicorn

by Peter S. Beagle

Grade: Good
Story: All the unicorns are gone except one, who goes off in search of the rest, along with a rather hopeless magician and not-exactly-young ex-outlaw woman.

Well, I rather liked this one. It was not terribly similar to the short story in The Dragon Book, which was slightly disappointing. But maybe I just haven't caught on to Peter S. Beagle's style yet. I want to, though, so when I'm done this, I'm going to the library website to order some more of his books.

It was essentially a fable. So the characters were intriguing, but there wasn't quite as much fleshing out as I usually like. That makes them sound like they weren't deep, but I think they were incredibly deep in some ways. Think--The Lord of the Rings, maybe. I'm not totally sure what I'm trying to say here, but I'm utterly exhausted, so at least it's excusable.

No comments: