Friday, August 5, 2011

Rage

by Jackie Morse Kessler

Grade: Good
Story: Missy cuts herself. Also she's a Rider of the Apocalypse. (See the first book, Hunger, and the third and fourth, Loss and Breath.)

Review: Basically, see Hunger. All my points still apply:
--I still don't like it that Death is described as so attractive and sexy. I mean, I don't mind if he is so much... Because actually, embarrassingly enough, I really like love stories with Death, whether it be grandfatherly affection, as in Discworld, or Romantic as in Keturah and Lord Death. But just ... I really don't like it when he's described as such, especially multiple times. But he's still Death. He's still awesome, even if he IS attractive and sexy. And you know what? War and Death, they do go rather well together.
--And the other three Horsemen are still awesome. They are always awesome and always will be. Why don't more people write stories about the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse? Move over Edward Cullen and the vampires! Move over angels and mermaids and werewolves! Here come the Riders!
--The Issue, in this case cutting, was also handled well, I thought, like the last book. Although, as with the Issue in the last book, I don't really know anything about it, so maybe I'm wrong. I do slightly sympathize more with this Issue than with Anorexia though.

Now here's something that's slightly different from the last book.
This one was about War. War is passionate. In LOTS of different ways. There was a LOT of description of violence in this book, much of it rather gruesome, and a lot of sexual stuff--too much for my taste. Now the violence doesn't worry me too much; in fact, sometimes I almost like it which is slightly worrisome. But I kind of wish there wasn't quite so much lust going around. Anyway.

Anyhow, looking forward to the next one. I believe the next one has a male protagonist, and is about Pestilence, whom I've always been curious about. There's also supposed to be more about the mythology of this world, which would be cool.

P.S. Death shows up on my Top Ten (Or So): Anthropomorphic Personifications of Death.

No comments: