Saturday, November 28, 2015

You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)

by Felicia Day

Why You Will Like This Book:
  • Compulsively readable.
  • Highly amusing.
  • Full of geek references and internet-speak.

And Why You Might Not:
  • Full of geek references and internet-speak. (Probably not everyone's cup of tea. In fact, I would probably say, if you don't already recognize Felicia Day, you probably won't enjoy this much.)





Thoughts: I was in the middle of reading a great scifi war book, but I accidentally read the first page of this one, and then I couldn't stop until I'd finished. Definitely compulsively readable for me. Felicia Day is hilarious and surprising, and she writes in a style common on the internet, that I am both familiar with and enjoy.

I found it a bit inspiring, too. Like me, she enjoys learning pretty much everything under the sun. She has struggled with depression and social anxiety and the overuse of the computer. Unlike me, however, she is immensely hard working. Think of all the cool things I could accomplish if I pushed through my lethargy a bit more!

There's only one thing that at all lessened my enjoyment, and even then it wasn't by much: it's a little too bad she was so isolated as a homeschooler growing up. It gives a bit of a bad rap to homeschoolers, while in reality, some of them can be very well-socialized. This wasn't her fault, of course. It would just be nice to have more normal, well-adjusted representation of homeschoolers in media. There are so few of them.*

Grade: 4 stars

* By this, I am not claiming to be well-adjusted myself. See the previous paragraph about struggling with depression and social anxiety and the overuse of the computer. But I grew up in a very large group of homeschoolers, and many of them are splendidly well-adjusted and perfectly able to blend in to any group of people at all without seeming weird.

No comments: