Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The Scorch Trials

by James Dashner

Story summary: Thomas and the gang of boys that survived the Maze have been brought to safety with the mysterious WICKED group. Except--surprise! Turns out there's another part to this horrible experiment, and instead of being sent to a maze full of monsters, they're sent to a scorching desert full of crazy people and lightning. So that's... great.
Sequel to The Maze Runner.

Why You Will Like This Book:
  • Like The Maze Runner, the primary appeal of this book is finding out what the heck is going on. Reminds me a bit of the days of watching LOST.
  • It's fast-paced and exciting. Not surprising they're making a series of movies out of these books.

And Why You Might Not:
  • It was really light, lacking in character development or interesting ideas.
  • There is an annoying love triangle.




Thoughts: In general, I wasn't that impressed with this one. I only read it in the first place because I wanted to see the movie, but I wanted to read the book first. It would make a decently exciting movie, I think, with plenty of action and surprises. But for a book it had not enough depth. I had little interest in any of the characters or plot. The exception was trying to figure out what the heck was going on with the world, and why on earth such strange things happened. Which was, admittedly, really fun. Again, I'm going to compare it to LOST in that way. But even here, I found it less interesting than the first book, The Maze Runner. Mostly because I really like mazes, and I don't like deserts with scorching sunlight.

So I doubt I'm going to read the rest of the series, unless I really can't stand watching the next movies without reading them first.

Grade: 2 stars

No comments: