Sunday, January 4, 2015

Strange Gods: Unmasking the Idols in Everyday Life

by Elizabeth Scalia

Thoughts: A short book about the real meaning of idolatry, and how the fact that we don't literally worship other gods doesn't mean we're all good on that front. Scalia fills her book with interesting examples and insights from her own life, using everything from politics (adherents to both parties) to the internet to actually writing this book.

A main issue for me was that it didn't have quite enough personal connection for me. Not that I don't have idols, because I definitely do. But her examples were often not from areas that affect me too much (politics, sex and coolness; even technology is not as applicable, since my problem with technology has different roots). "The Idol of Plans" chapter was the best for me in that way. I am really not good at just trusting God and letting go. This all ties in with just generally wishing it were a little longer and more in depth. But I think probably that for what it is, it is quite fantastic. The central idea doesn't need too much in depth explanation--it's just a simple idea that most of us haven't thought about yet. And keeping that in mind during one's day-to-day life could help one's spiritual life significantly.

Also, she has a cool explanation of the beatitudes, which need explaining to people more often.

Also also: cool cover. It draws you in, makes you try to figure out what all the little icons mean. And suitable for the book, which is modern, fairly short, and full of little examples.

Grade: 3 1/2 stars

No comments: