Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Revenge of the Witch

by Joseph Delaney

Story summary: First book in the "Last Apprentice" series. Thomas Ward leaves his home and family to become the apprentice of the Spook, an old man who deals with the supernatural. But being an apprentice, he naturally gets into trouble, and he soon comes to realize just what he has to deal with as a Spook. (Hint: there are witches. Evil, evil ones.)

Thoughts: I started reading this series because I read that it was an excellent series, and like Harry Potter, it got more adult as it went on. I did find it a bit young for me, but then, I never managed to properly read the first couple HP books either (though I consider myself a huge HP fan). So I'll continue for some books more, and see how it goes.

There did seem to be a bit of  anti-priest sentiment, and the sneak peek for the next book shows even more. It could be that there are good character reason for this--it remains to be seen--but I found it slightly annoying, and I hope there is not too much of it in future books.

Grade: 2 1/2

No comments: