Sunday, October 9, 2011

Top Ten (Or So): Fictional Canadians


I always like finding fictional Canadians, and I know there are more of them than one might expect. There's some sort of automatic elevation of a character when I find out they're from my country. So without further ado, here's my list of Favourite Fictional Canadians (that I can remember), in no particular order.



--Rodney McKay, from the TV series Stargate Atlantis. By far the funniest Canadian in the history of fictional Canadians. Scientific genius and terribly egotistical.

--Wolverine, from X-Men. Grumpy, gruff, and much older than he looks. Plus the cool claws.

--Anne Shirley, Emily Starr, and other L. M. Montgomery characters. Montgomery is one of our best authors, and her characters are almost always awesome and unique, without falling into the "kick-ass feisty female" or "beautiful wilting wallflower" tropes that SO MANY heroines tend to fall into.

--Box, aka Madison Jeffries, from the X-Men. I don't know a lot about him, and I must admit that most of the reason why I like him is because he IS Canadian. But still, his powers are cool, and I definitely like what I've seen of him so far.

--Saul Greenius, from the Evil Genius series by Catherine Jinks. A detective who, as with most fictional detectives, is somewhat smarter than one might expect. I really like him, and I'm not totally sure why. Perhaps because he's so calm under pressure, and because he ends up having a very good marriage, and I like married people.

--Frank Zhang, from the book just reviewed: The Son of Neptune. Cool powers, cool history, the awesomest father.

--Charlie Wilcox, from the books by Sharon E. McKay. Awesome WWI books. Read them. Especially if you're Canadian.

--Lester Patel, from the TV series Chuck. Because of Jeffster! and "Imagine David Beckham! Lester's a shorter, feminine version of his wife".

No comments: