Monday, September 15, 2008

Airman

by Eoin Colfer

Grade: To Re-read

The parts with the French guy, at least! I liked him. Victor Vigny was awesome: his hair stuck up; he knew karate, fencing, tai chi, and lots of science--and then he died.

The story was a fantastic adventure story reminiscent of The Count of Monte Christo. It fits admirably the quote: "Fencing. Fighting. Fire. Torture. Revenge. Knights. Nuns. Chases. Escapes. Rescues. True love. Miracles." But without the nuns.

Jolly good fun. I had at least a liking for almost all of the characters except the villain. He wasn't very interesting. But the aformentioned French guy, the blind, American musician, and the loyal, giant assassin were all pretty cool.

2 comments:

Aquinas' Goose said...

Not sure if you're familiar with either the book or movie of "The Princess Bride"--but seeing as how the quote is a parody of the movie's description of the book, I suggest you give it a go.

RED said...

Yes, I am familiar, but thanks for the suggestion! It's one of my favourite books AND movies, actually. And the parody quote I took from another book which I also love, called "Waking Rose" by Regina Doman. It's not half as well done as "Princess Bride", but I love it all the same.