Thursday, June 12, 2008

Rogue Male

by Geoffrey Household

Grade: Good

Hard to pick up, but engrossing as it got further along. Perhaps "thrilling" would be better than "engrossing"...anyway...
I liked how slowly the main character (I forgot his name...) realizes his true motives.
But mostly I liked it because he was clever and good at hiding.

"I stood in a little copse at the bottom and started yelling bloody murder in a terrified soprano--'Help!' and 'Let me go!' and 'God, won't anybody come!' and then a succession of hysterical screams that were horrible to hear and quite false. The screams of a terrified woman are rhythmical and wholly unnatural, and had I imitated them correctly the sergeant would have thought me a ghost or some fool yodelling."

Reminded me of Shannon's screams at the beggining of Lost. Also an interesting insight. I'd like to hear a terrified woman now, to check up on his statement.

No comments: