Sunday, March 23, 2008

Summary 1

There's no particular reason to have a summary here, except that I feel like it.

Historical interest is rising in several areas. Montmorency had the cool Victorian history (which I actually emailed Ms. Updale about!); the Poor Relations weren't as historically interesting as Georgette Heyer, but had their interest all the same (I do find Regency quite interesting); The Golden Hour had French Revolution stuff, which is cool.

There were a number of cool characters, but not as many as I would have liked. My favourites, I believe, are Dr. Robert Farcett (Montmorency series), Sir Philip Sommerville (The Poor Relation series), Cadel Piggott (Evil Genius), Marius, aka Phelan, aka "the stranger" (Ysabel), and Roy Straitley (Gentlemen and Players).

Montmorency was a fascinating find--interesting style which I haven't really seen before; Mrs. Budley's romance was a pleasant surprise at first (her Romantic interest was the best Chesney Romantic interest yet); Gentlemen and Players was way better than I thought at first, and I might read it again someday; and Ysabel had a cool wolf-like Roman and the modern stuff didn't bother me (I might even read more of Guy Gavriel Kay).

However, His Majesty's Dragon (disappointingly) hasn't turned out good enough for me to manage to read the sequal; Marion Chesney is getting very fatiguing (luckily I only have two left to read); my Georgette Heyer (Frederica, which I forgot to put on here) was not as good as I hoped; there were at least four boring books (although not completely boring); none of the books totally and absolutely grabbed me; and I don't have any characters to add to my list of all time favourite characters--the characters of whom I'd like to have portraits hung up on my wall.

No comments: