Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Never Let Me Go

by Kazuo Ishiguro

Grade: All right
Reason: I found it kind of creepy, frankly. I read to the very end because there was a sense of mystery about the whole thing, and I wanted to find out what it all meant. However, I didn't like the characters and I think maybe it was too "grown up" for my personal tastes.

Favourite part: It grabbed me right away, and I read it straight through to the end, practically without stopping. The atmosphere was, I think the best and worst part. Gripping, but tragic and not endusive of the lovely glow you sometimes get when reading a book straight through.

Least favourite part: What I talked about above. Too philosophically tragic, maybe. I'll probably read it again when I'm older, and think about the moral questions raised.

EDIT: Ok, I found a perfect description. Someone somewhere said (about a totally different book) "Not a great book, but in an addictive way chillingly odd..if that makes sense." That's pretty accurate for my view of this book. And it makes perfect sense.

No comments: