Friday, April 8, 2016

Not God's Type

by Holly Ordway

Why You Will Like This Book:
  • Conversion stories FTW!
  • Ordway is a fencer, an academic, a lover of Lewis and Tolkien. Sounds like just my cup of tea; I would love to meet her.

And Why You Might Not:
  • I wouldn't recommend this to non-Christians, unless they were really open to Christianity.







Thoughts: Reading Catholic conversion stories, when one is a Catholic oneself, is always enjoyable. This one was especially fun because Ordway has many similar tastes to me. She had a Catholic imagination even before she was Catholic, and all the references to Tolkien and Lewis and fencing delighted me.

However, this book wasn't quite everything that I was hoping it would be. Too much of just a standard conversion story, I suppose. The last conversion story book I read before this was A Severe Mercy, which was brilliant and full of fascinating ideas. It was a book I longed to discuss with interesting people, and think of ways to change my own life based on it. This was more just how she came to the ideas that I already hold.

Also, I probably wouldn't recommend it to non-Christians, as I mentioned above. It's not by any means an apologetics book, and I don't think the arguments that convinced her are necessarily convincing to anyone else in this story format, without all the details and background she had.

Grade: 3 1/2 stars


If You Like This, You Might Also Like:
  • A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken: Because their conversions remind me of each other in some ways--both influenced by C.S. Lewis, both steeped in love of beauty. Also A Severe Mercy is fantastic.
  • Rome Sweet Home by Scott and Kimberly Hahn: Because it's the only other conversion story book I can think of right now.

No comments: