Thursday, February 28, 2013

Skyship Academy: The Pearl Wars

by Nick James

Grade: 3 1/2 stars
Story summary: I don't feel like writing a story summary (because I basically did as much as I wanted of that below), so I'm going to be boring and redirect you to the Goodreads description.

Thoughts: I read this book and the sequel in quick succession. This always makes it much harder to remember what I thought about the first book. And (as has been the case for too long now), I am still way too far behind on my reviews, so these earlier books have left my mind in favour of the more recent books. I really have to fix that... Anyhow, this book didn't have anything spectacular that I could rave or rant about. Great fun, though. Rivalry between two boys on opposite sides of two central factions. I really liked the interaction between these two, especially at the end after something was revealed (which I actually guessed pretty early--but I still liked it a lot). A manipulative and clever villain. Otherwise, just aliens, politics, mysterious powers, and a post-apocalyptic world. Definitely worth it if you’re a SciFi fan.

Also, Cassius can explode into flame. How cool is that?? I really need to make the Top Ten (Or So): Characters with the Power of Fire list.

1 comment:

Petra said...

I read this, but the sequel is still sitting on my shelf. I don't remember much about it except that it was the quintessential "boy book"--lots of action, high stakes, a little bit of mystery. Altogether a strong debut.