Saturday, July 5, 2008

Pagan's Crusade

by Catherine Jinks

Grade: Good

Sometime's Pagan's comments seemed almost disrespectful to the faith, but I don't think they quite were. I loved the friendship between Roland and Pagan. Some sweet parts:

"(Oh, please, please, how can I explain? You've got to. I can't bear it. If he dies . . . I can't bear it. . . what shall I do?)"

"'Oh, my lord. My lord, your wound. You're hurt. . .'
He looks down at me. Blue eyes big and bloodshot in a grimy face. Suddenly very still.
'Stop crying, Pagan.'
What?
'There's nothing to cry about.' (Gently.) 'Not yet.'
But I'm not crying! Am I? Reach up. . . and there they are. The tears. Lord have mercy."

This last one is a good example of the interesting style it's written in. I like that style. More in tune with the emotions of the narrator or something.

"'My lord, how can I?' Look at me, Roland. Look at me. I might be your squire, but I'm also your friend. Can't you see that? Can't you see what I'm feeling? 'My lord, have some mercy. For God's sake, think of me. Don't you understand? You're all I have left.'"

No comments: