Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A Song for Summer

by Eva Ibbotson

Grade: All right
Reason: It was good. I read it all the way through, and I like Eva Ibbotson's style of writing quite a bit. However, there was lots I didn't like. There were lots of pre-marital sex (nothing graphic, though) and I didn't like the hero all that much.

Favourite parts: Whenever music was mentioned. To think, I actually knew who Stravinksy and Schoenberg were! Also this quote:

"Jean-Pierre came...a brilliant mathematician who professed to loathe children and could send them out of his classes reeling with excitment about calculus..."

I would love to be able to do that. I would ADORE it. Reeling with excitement about calculus? Ah, the glory...

Least favourite parts: The end was weird. I'm glad poor old Kendrick had a moderately happy ending.

No comments: